Friday, June 8, 2012

Living and Working in the Costa Maya

I have been having one of the local guys come here to this oceanfront beachhouse to cut down the palm fronds and coconuts out of the highest palm trees.
 It is best to do this at least once a year so that coconuts don't fall on peoples heads when they walk under them.  It also lessens the debris that you have to pick up after a storm.
Every morning I go out and pick up fallen palm fronds and coconuts and put them
into the burn pile - storms have a tendency to clean out the trees so some days
there is nothing to pick up. I don't mind doing it as it gives me some exercise while staying here at this oceanfront beachhouse and a reason for this computer tweeb to go outdoors. I do lay out in the lounge chair to tan on the beach every now and then but not as often as I used to because I am already quite tan. I am also at the age where having a tan is not as important as it used to be as I no longer consider myself to be a beach bunny.
 
Alot of people email me here while I am staying at this oceanfront beachhouse and ask me if it is safe here in mexico. From where I sit upstairs overlooking the costa maya caribean ocean I would say yes it is safe right here where I am now. I have no problem driving
into the local village or into the cruise ship port of Mahahual one hour away and shopping for groceries or even driving all the way to Chetumal which is two and one half hours away by myself.
 While in Chetumal I shop at the local big box stores there such as Sams Club, Walmart, Chedrai and Bodega. Since I don't go to Chetumal very often I stock up on enough to last me a month. So yes to me it is quite safe here as long as you don't do stupid things. Like leave your wallet on the front seat of your car with your windows down and walk away from your car ...I actually have talked to people that did that and they wondered why they got their wallet stolen in the US. Some people do not use common sense while traveling so for people like that the world will never be safe enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment